Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tail of the dragon

From Memphis I went east to Nashville as I had one night before I was to meet up with Jacob. Nashville is a big party town. And now I know where women in shorts and cowboy boots come from!
We had a reservation at the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort located at one end of the 11 mile stretch of US 129 they call "The Dragon". 318 banked curves and switchbacks with no merging traffic in the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. Bikes and cars race up and down all day long! The Tree of Shame warns riders to be wary of the dragon!
With Jacob and Helene, who's also from Montreal, we rode the Dragon's Tail and the Cherohala Skyway. After supper we rode the dragon some more.  It's like being on a rollercoaster, but you're in control.
The next morning Jacob left early and headed for Florida. I rode some more through the Smoky Mountains, got my hair cut in Gatlinburg and changed my oil in Greeneville Tennessee. I found a quiet campsite and set up my tent on a deck, a first for me. The next day I rode on "The Snake", another infamous strech of asphalt, as I made my way to West Virginia.

1 comment:

  1. A tavern on wheels? Nashville is the place you wanna be!
    Father and son on the Dragon's Tail is also pretty cool!!

    ReplyDelete